Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 572 Posts

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Here's the opening paragraphs from an article I wrote about the Second Generation Colt percussion revolvers.

John Gross

"When I was a young teenager in the early 1970’s I entered the Town and Country Gun Shop in South Miami, Florida with my dad, and walked out with a brand new Colt revolver and a smile brighter than the Florida sunshine. The revolver was one of Colt’s modern antiques, an 1851 Navy Ulysses S. Grant Commemorative housed in its beautiful presentation case with all the accessories. Being a Southern Sympathizer I asked if they had the Robert E. Lee model I had seen in the Dixie Gun Works catalog, but the salesman said no, just the USG one. No matter, I was happy with my new gift from dad, though perplexed why Grant and Lee, who were army generals, would be issued navy revolvers!

That revolver was not my first gun, but it was my first Colt. I learned a lot with that revolver, such as cocking the hammer enough times to hear the click-click-click-click will scribe a very neat symmetrical line on the exterior of the cylinder rather quickly, in what I now know is referred to as a drag line. And did you know dry firing a percussion gun can damage the nipples? I learned that too! The Colt was also the first black powder handgun I ever shot which lead to more learning experiences. Keeping the cylinder pin well lubricated, misfires, bits of percussion caps falling down into the hammer recess and tying up the lock work, and that shiny brass bullet mold getting so hot when casting balls on the kitchen stove were all part of my learning curve. I also discovered that I was not able to reload my Navy revolver near as fast as Clint Eastwood could load his.

My first Colt is now gone, traded off by me in 1979, dad is gone, and the Town and Country Gun Shop is now The House of Fins - Your Total Aquarium Store. But the fond memories of that revolver will be with me forever. Next to my First Generation Colt percussion revolvers, two of which are inscribed to Civil War soldiers, comfortably resides more than half a dozen of their Second Generation cousins, which includes of course, a Ulysses S. Grant (and Robert E. Lee!) Commemorative."

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
A 6" blue Python. Bought in the early-mid '80s (mfg mid '80), from a dealer who overheard me say that a 6" .357 would be a lot easier on me than the 4" Ruger Security Six I was shootin'. So he called me a couple weeks later and said he had my gun. What could I do? So I got it for what turned out to be short coin... real short, like $439 otd short. It had beautiful smooth rosewood grips and the but I got the correct originals at a gun show for $20. It was in the original box. It shoots like crazy and I have shot the bejeezis out of it. It looks like a new gun. Only time it was ever holstered was to see if it fit. One time. Now I have a bunch of other Colts. And I am a S&W man. Go figure.

ps.That is the first one I bought.
I inherited one from my uncle around the same time. probably a few months earlier.....

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
OCTOBER 13, 1960, a 4 1/2" COLT HUNTSMAN for my sixteenth birthday from my Daddy. One [1] year later I had put 52,000 rounds though it from buying two bricks of R-P 22LR GOLDEN BULLETS from the HENDERSON SUPPLY COMPANY in Bowling Green OH at the pricely price of five dollars per brick ie: ten bucks a thousand, per week. MY weekly income was $12.00 which left me two bucks for smokes and anything else I needed. NEVER ran outta 22LR ammo or Lucky's.

·
Premium Member
4,236 Posts
I was 19 years old and serving my country in uniform when I bought a nickel plated Frontier Scout in a little shop in Oceanside, California in 1963. I couldn't believe I had to wait five days to pick up the gun! Yep, they had a five day waiting period for handguns even then. It was one of the early Scouts that didn't have the pin to secure the barrel to the frame and the barrel kept unscrewing when I shot it. I still have it and a lot more .22 single actions as well.

- - - Buckspen

·
Registered
58 Posts
Buckspen, I live in Oceanside and grew up there. Do You remember the name of the shop you bought it from? I bought mine from Johnson's Sporting Goods back in 1977. I assume you were stationed at Camp Pendleton in those days?

·
Registered
5,350 Posts
I bought my first Colt in around June or July of 1976. It was a 6in. blued Python. I had just got married in Feb. and I spent the weeks grocery money on it!! $100.00 -- I shoot it every chance I got, which wasn't often. Back then I couldn't afford ammo. I did use it in "78" to take a wild boar down around Knoxville TN. It took two shots. I still have it and will probably pass it on to my Son when I go to the happy hunting grounds.

Reactions: Kal collector

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Blame it on this forum character, "ednred".

Less than three years ago I bought my first Colt from him, a Detective Special.

Since then, let's see.....I think I've bought a dozen or so Colts, and it ain't over yet.:eek:

·
Registered
307 Posts
Hello, everyone. In the spring of 1972, bought a Colt re-make of the 1851 .36 navy..I was attending college full time, & working part time as lab assistant..took quite awhile to save up for. It was so pretty, I just couldn't bring myself to dirty it up with black powder..so I saved some more, and bought another just like it. The plan was to use one, and keep the other NIB. As time went by, darned if I could bring myself to shoot either one!
Fast forward some 35 years..I found both those revolvers still in their boxes..Wife asked me what she was going to do with these guns if something should happen to me...I asked myself...Just who am I saving them for? I had previously bought a Kirst .38 Long-Colt conversion cylinder. This dropped right in with perfect timing. Shoots very accurate with Rapine hollow-base bullets over 2.8gr. Bullseye.
Oh, I am still following that 35 year old plan..It's mate still resides in it's box.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
My first was a mint "Starsky & Hutch" 6" blued python at age 23(1983). By the time I was thirty I had a 1903 in 32ACP, a 4" blue Trooper in 22lr, an Argentine 1911(the nice one), a 6" BOA (charmed life),a 6" blued Trooper in 357, a 4" police positive in 38NP and a blued 6' official police. Still have the Python, BOA, 1911 and the 357 Trooper. Good thread, really made me think.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I bought my first Colt in 1990. It was $1,000, which was way more than I could afford right out of school, so the dealer gave me a five-month layaway. I was so determined, I think I paid it off in about two! :)

I still have it, and it's the last gun I'd ever part with.

Great story, if I wasn't such a turd I'd cry, took me four weeks/paychecks to pay for that Python in '83 but it was only $350.

1 - 20 of 572 Posts