Colt Forum banner
21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Friends, this is the first of the 10 last ever made Webley MK VI .455 in its original box No. 455328 It is like new...as it is unused
...no joke. Webley put together (you could say made) 10 revolvers for a Dealer in Hamburg in 1964. And as they got their own boxes this is probably the only Webley MK VI .455 in its original box you will ever see.
I know they just put together a lot of spare parts, gave them a number and box.. but our famous and beloved prewar/postwar Single Action are not much different...

Peter

·
Premium Member
493 Posts
World War I dated Mk.V Webley, in .455 with a 1916 dated flap holster. Gun is unit stamped to the Kirkee Arsenal in India, to the 4th Gwalior Infantry, August 1914. This unit would go to the Suez Canal and fight the Turks in 1914. Can you say Lawrence of Arabia! If only they could talk......

·
Registered
11,300 Posts
The only top-break I own...an Iver-Johnson .38 S&W that belonged to my grandfather.

·
Registered
719 Posts
World War I dated Mk.V Webley, in .455 with a 1916 dated flap holster. Gun is unit stamped to the Kirkee Arsenal in India, to the 4th Gwalior Infantry, August 1914. This unit would go to the Suez Canal and fight the Turks in 1914. Can you say Lawrence of Arabia! If only they could talk......

View attachment 746763
This is the best looking of the webley bunch, yours has great history
... here is one with a navy holster.

·
Premium Member
4,648 Posts
This is an excellent thread. To see the beauty and artistry in the curvature of the frames and barrels is most impressive, given the fact that machining was done by what we would consider primitive machines. And to think that many of these were entry level or lower end guns is all the more impressive. These hearken back to an age in which the worker was proud of his or her work. Conversely, what we see today is an excess of "ease of manufacture" which keeps prices down, but hands us the utility-grade shapes and finishes we see in modern guns. Except for high-end shotguns and custom rifles, where is the beauty today?

Reactions: MarkInTx

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Of all the top breaks the one I think is the most svelte are the S&W spur trigger single actions in maybe .32 or .38 S&W calibers. Nickel with black hard rubber or blackened rosewood grips. Totally useless but just looks nice!

Bob Wright

21 - 40 of 79 Posts