Colt Forum banner
41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Hey Y'all,

I also have this fun little revolver made in Spain that was given to me by my Father who received it from his Uncle back in the 1950's.

I do not know who made this cool little firearm, but I was told it was a "gift with purchase" to my Great Uncle who was a farmer in Maryland. I was told it was a bonus for purchasing a certain quantity of seed or fertilizer or some such. It is in 6.35mm caliber, has a drop down trigger, is double action only as there is no exposed hammer, and has a cute little holster with it. I think it is really fun, but a mystery as to its origin other than being of Spanish manufacture.

Best,
Tom

Revolver Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

Gun accessory Bicycle part Nickel Font Metal

Rectangle Bag Font Luggage and bags Jewellery

·
Registered
252 Posts
This thread made me realize how many top breaks I have. Here are a few...
New Model No. 3s, all Japanese contract guns including a NM Frontier (center):

New Model No. 3 nickel with ivories and a 4" .44 DA 1st Model:

3rd Model Russian, re-nickeled but mechanically excellent that I just got at the Indian Territory Collectors' show. Bonus -it came with a S&W letter!

A bunch of Model 1 "baby Russians" and 2nd model single action .38s. The center gun came with pearl stocks but I replaced them with repros for shooting.

And finally, one that I don't think has appeared yet in this thread, a S&W Perfected, their only top break that also had the later style cylinder release...

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts

·
Registered
10,581 Posts
They dont
There is one on GB right now, about to end with no bid. First time I have seen one on there.

RARE Harrington & Richardson H&R Automatic Bayonet Revolver 38 S&W - Curios & Relics at GunBroker.com : 903705240
They don't come up often. If that one is mechanically sound its worth the starting bid.
Thats one from the smokeless era too. Mine is early black powder era. The most worn part of my gun is actually the knife blade. It doesn't lock any more. Looks like someone did more stabbing than shooting with mine.

·
Registered
669 Posts
The long barreled early #3 pistols do have a sleek refined look. Here is my 1871 shipped 1st Model American

and a 1st Model Schofield

Last is a 2nd Model Russian shipped 1874

I tried my best to like the 2nd Russian but its one of the most awkward pistols I've ever handled. Its a pretty rare model, only around 6,000 sold commercially, but that alone was not enough to justify keeping it around

·
Registered
669 Posts
You American is really nice.
mine also shipped in 1871
View attachment 748214 View attachment 748217
What a magnificent example, when you see one with that much condition it makes you realize how fragile the original blued finish really was as similar high condition nickel examples are much more common.

Mine is in the 3,8xx range and has assembly # Z4 in the normal spots. Too bad they all seem to letter to MW Robinson with no paper trail beyond.

I picked up a nice period holster for it a while back. As you prob know finding leather for the 8 inch S&W is not easy.

Thats an 8 inch nickel 1st Model Russian in it but you get the picture. I found out afterwards that there is an identical holster on the inside cover of "Packing Iron" and if you look closely its housing either a 2nd or 3rd Model Russian.

Last here is the nickel 1st Russian serial # 27,xxx

Its amazing when you look at S&W's production numbers of their early #3 pistols. Their Russian contracts were massive - over 150,000 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Models all shipped overseas prior to 1878 while only producing a fraction of that for the US market

·
Premium Member
1,776 Posts
Dalfort.
Nice holster!
My American is 39xx range.
I have a 2nd Model that shipped in 1872 to a dealer in Chicago. It letters as Full nickel finish with ivory grips
I have lost most of the pics to my psycho computer
I didn't get much further than the dealer, but it wasn't Robinson
P.S. your 1st Russian is also very cool

41 - 60 of 79 Posts