Colt Forum banner

581 - 595 of 595 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
New photo - I've been installing Nill Grips on my S&W revolvers, and regardless of how nice the Python looks, it wanted the new grips too. Within a few days of buying the gun, I ordered them, and they arrived a few days ago. Pat at Dominion Hobby ( www.dominionhobby.com ) not only got the grips out to me the same day I ordered them, he again gave me a discount. To me, that the grips look so good is just the tip of the iceberg. Just like on the S&W, they give my entire hand a solid grip on the gun, like it is "plugged directly into my hand". Tip for anyone buying them - read the directions - the grips are so closely machined, that when they're on the gun, they look and feel like a single piece of wood. Finger grooves (optional) make all the difference for me - my hand naturally goes to the same place every time. The texturing (also optional) makes the gun feel better in my hand. They also have choices of an "open back" (so the steel frame shows through, which I got, or a "closed back". Enough words, here's the new photo:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Those triggers are delightful! My Python - which I've owned for around 45 years - has fired a good many target wadcutter loads but way less than one box of actual magnums. If I want to shoot magnums I pick up the 686.
Just curious and wanting to learn, why won't you shoot magnums through your Python?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Maybe for the same reason, that if I bought a 1960's Corvette, I would never push it to the limit.
I'm much more careful with "old" things, than new mass produced things that can easily be replaced.
I have no intention of shooting Magnum loads in my Python - I might do so from one of my S&W revolvers, but my body no longer enjoys magnum loads either.

·
Registered
9,734 Posts
Just picked up the '77 Python. The seller is the original owner...says the revolver has only eighteen rounds through it...and it looks like he's not blowing smoke. This Python is pristine. The Royal Blue looks a foot deep...too bad the photos don't do it justice. I'm not gonna bother getting an Archives letter...it's really a base Python (if there really is such a thing) and the letter won't provide any more information that matters.

Now here's my Python family...1960 nickel plated 6"...this example...2020 stainless Python...4" e-nickel Python and a snubby.

I know where two more 6" blued Pythons are for sale...have to think about whether I want to go after them. One had a scope mounted on it...don't know whether it's factory or done aftermarket. I need to find out which as that will make a big difference.

Reactions: Rogerwnuss

·
Registered
9,734 Posts
I haven't decided...it's not like its cherry hasn't already been popped. I tend to shoot the same handguns over and over and have a few others I want to try out first. It would be nice to test it out side-by-side with the other two 6" Pythons and see which is the more accurate.

581 - 595 of 595 Posts